Curry of ground Rice and Smoked Shrimp Serves 4
Nathur gwran: Smoked Shrimp
Ondla: Curry made of Rice flour
Gongar Dundiya: Long Coriander
Kharwi: Kol Khaar/Kola Khaar
Ondla is a favourite curry of the Bodos. It is delicious and healthy. Ondla is a basic dish which has hundreds of variations. Can be cooked with mainly fish, meat and plain vegetable at times too.
1. Rice 1 cup, (I prefer Joha Rice) soaked for an hour or so
2. Nathur gwran 2 cups, washed
3. Ginger 1 piece, ground coarsely
4. Garlic 6 to 8 pods, ground coarsely
5. Turmeric a pinch or half tsp
6. Green Chilli to taste, chopped
7. Salt to taste
8. Mustard oil 1 tbsp for the curry and 2 tbsp to fry Nathur gwran
9. Kharwi 2 tbsp (depending on the strength add more or less)
10. Gongar Dundiya 5 leaves, broken into two or three pieces
11. Water 2 glasses (may add more depending on how thick or thin you like your curry)
Take out rice from water and let water drain for half an hour. Grind rice into powder. Some love it powdered fine and some love it little coarse. Keep aside.
Heat oil, fry Nathur gwran adding little salt and keep aside.
Heat oil and fry ginger, garlic, chilli, turmeric. Do not brown it.
Add about 2 glasses of water and let it boil. Add salt.
As the water boils, with one hand sprinkle ground rice and with the other hand keep stirring. Make sure no lump is formed. When the smooth gravy is made, add Nathur gwran. And finally add Kharwi, the main taste maker of Ondla wngkhree. Cook till Nathur is done, gravy is of perfect consistency, salt and chilli are checked. See that it is not too thick as gravy thickens when the curry cools down.
Add Long Coriander.
Serve when the curry cools down a little.