Goja is a favourite sweetmeat of the Assamese. Very easy to make and tastes delicious.
To make 20 of this :
Ingredients for the dough :
1. Flour (Maida) = 250 gms
2. Soda-bi-carb = 1/2 tsp
3. Refine oil = 5 tblsps
4. Water = few spoons.
Ingredients for the Sugar syrup :
1. Sugar = 250 gms
2. Water = 2 and 1/2 cups
Refine oil = 400 ml for deep frying
1. Mix the ingredients for dough and knead well. Put water a little at a time so that the dough doesn't turn sticky.
2. Spread the dough little less than an inch thick on a clean hard surface. I use the kitchen slab for this purpose.
3. Cut with a knife. The best size is a rectangle.
4. Boil water and add sugar to make the sugar syrup. Boil for about 10 minutes. The syrup should not be thick.
5. Heat oil, but not too hot. Put in the Gojas on the frying spoon like the picture above. Keep the flame very low for some time. Do not stir. Gradually remove the spoon as the Gojas swell up. Now increase the heat to medium and gradually to high.
6. Check with a fork if the Gojas are cooked. When light brown, transfer from oil to the hot sugar syrup. Turn them in the syrup and remove immediately.
Delicious Goja is ready to serve with a cup of Chai(tea).
Can be stored for a week.