Wednesday 10 January 2018

Thari'r Khaar


Thari'r Khaar = A Khaar dish cooked with the stems of Radish, Cauliflower and Broccoli.

 Winter months are the best to enjoy loads of lovely home grown vegetables. I grow plenty of Greens like Spinach, Mustard Greens, Coriander, Lettuce etc and Vegetables like Radish, Carrots, Beans, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Broccoli, Capsicum, Tomato etc during this season. They are organic and very very tasty.
The vegetables are so tasty that I do not discard even the stems after cooking Radish and the florets of Cauliflower and Broccoli. No wonder I am my mother's daughter when it comes to using almost all parts of vegetables. I remember my mother fondly, who was a fantastic cook and a great homemaker. She tended a beautiful flower garden as well as a lovely kitchen garden. I developed this hobby of growing my own vegetables, picking them up and cooking fresh from none other than my mother.

Ingredients: 
1. Tender stems of Radish, Cauliflower and Broccoli. Cube the stems.
2. Red Lentil (Masoor Daal)
3. Salt, to taste
4. Mustard oil, a little
5. Turmeric, a little (optional)
6. Green Chilli, to taste, chopped
7. Ginger, crushed
8. Garlic, crushed
9. Kola Khaar ( edible Soda-bi-carb is a substitute)
9. Water

Method: 
Saute the cubed stems and the Lentils in Mustard oil.
Add salt, chilli, turmeric (optional) and stir well.
Add Ginger and Garlic. Reserve a little crushed Ginger to add later.
Add water, cover and cook in medium heat.
Add Khaar, and cook for some more time.
Check salt and chilly. Add the reserved crushed Ginger and a little raw Mustard oil when done.
The delicious dish is ready to be served with a plate of Rice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment